Someday


I woke up with a reckless bee buzzing round my ears.

It's a Sunday morning - the kind you know nothing big or eventful would happen because you have no plans to go anywhere. Just staying in.

While waiting for my turn to use the washroom, I lay sprawled on my parents' bed.

And an old memory strayed into my mind. It was an old memory - before I was who I am today (not that I'm anything much, I'm just an average college student). I recalled a beautiful stranger, a tall lady in her late thirties and she sat beside me in the national library while I was doodling on my sketch book after a trip to Haji lane (one of those adventurous trips around weird corners of Singapore an A'level student didn't really get to explore for the past 2 years) - and she actually bothered to look at me, at my drawings and here's what she told me:

I'm an interior designer. You drew that? You are very talented, I can see you love details - if you really love art you should consider going to an arts school. Just do what you like, you know - when I was young I love to move things around in my head and create things.

And she continued to flipped though thick volumes of interior design books - she was designing a vintage baby bedroom for some wealthy client.

I don't remember anything about her except that she looked beautiful; busy and tired, a little - and that faint scent of perfume covering the smell of tobacco still clinging on to her attire.

Now I'm neither in architecture nor studying anything related to arts - I was talented - am I still talented?

When we were kids we thought we were all destined for greatness, someday, somehow.

Now that we are a little grown up-where did all the bold thoughts go? Have they all fled like flocks of wild birds before a storm?

Life is a storm - but as I recall, fleeing is not the best thing one can conjure out of all the possibilities sprinkled all over the trajectory of life.

We are still capable of so much more - if we hold on to the belief and tell ourselves that the "someday" we had always believed in as a child just mean that something needs to be done today.

We control our own destiny. I would like to believe in that.

posted from Bloggeroid

No comments:

Post a Comment